Thursday, March 25, 2010

Turkish Delight in Istanbul

I have so much to blog about...like, my trip to Turkey for Spring Break! I will have to do the trip in different posts over the course of the next few weeks. I have a lot going on with papers, projects, field trips, and weekend travel that I will have to blog when I can and in different installments. But, for now, here are some pictures from Istanbul. I met my mom there and we toured around for a few days before leaving for Ephesus. It is a very interesting city with a lot of history, culture, food, and of course, good shopping.


Yum...Turkish Delight! ;)



Lots of chefs and street vendors selling Turkish favorites...











The Spice Market















Topkapi Palace was the official and main residence in the city of the Ottoman Sultans for 400 years of their 600-year reign from 1465 to 1856.











Hagia Sophia ("Holy Wisdom") was built as a Christian church and then taken over by the Ottomen Empire and made into a mosque.



The scroll says, "I am the Light of the world, Peace be with you."





The Blue Mosque (Sultan Ahmet Camii) is a historical mosque and known as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles on the walls of its interior.











Boat Ride on the Bosphorus River






Istanbul University



The Grand Bazaar











"Could I maybe have some more Turkish delight now?" -The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrode by C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment